2019-2020 University Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]
2019-2020 University Bulletin
As a Sinsinawa Dominican-sponsored institution, Dominican University prepares students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
Dominican University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools as a baccalaureate and master’s degree-granting institution.
The Master of Library and Information Science program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation Committee on Accreditation of the American Library Association (ALA).
The Brennan School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The School of Social Work is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Teacher Education (in 2013 NCATE consolidated with the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation or CAEP). In addition, the university’s education programs are approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Dominican University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
The Physician Assistant Studies Program received Accreditation-Provisional from the Accreditation Review Commission for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA).
The program in nutrition and dietetics is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
The university is also approved by the Illinois Department of Registration and Education, and the State Approving Agency for Veterans Affairs.
Dominican University holds membership in the Association of American Colleges, the American Council on Education, the Council of Independent Colleges, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, the Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities, the Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area, the Associated Colleges of Illinois, the College Entrance Examination Board, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges, the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the National Association of College and University Business Officers, the National Catholic Educational Association, the National and Midwest Associations of Student Financial Aid Administrators, the National Association of College Admission Counseling, the National Society for Experiential Education, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, Women in Development, the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, and the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
The university’s Main Campus is at 7900 West Division Street, River Forest, Cook County, IL, 10 miles west of the Chicago Loop and eight miles south of O’Hare Airport. The Priory Campus is at 7200 West Division Street, River Forest. The university also offers classes at sites across the Chicago area. All campus buildings are smoke free.
Dominican University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Alpha Chi, a national college honor society that admits students from all academic disciplines. Membership is limited to juniors and seniors in the Mazzuchelli Scholars Honors Program. Kappa chapter installed April 17, 2012.
- Alpha Sigma Lambda, national honor society for adult learners. Mu Rho chapter installed in 2007. Membership awarded to high-achieving undergraduates in the School of Professional & Continuing Studies.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, an international honor society serving business programs accredited by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Open to qualified BSB students. Chapter installed on April 10, 2015.
- Beta Phi Mu, the international Library and Information Studies Honor Society.
- Gamma Kappa Alpha, national Italian honor society. Theta Kappa Pi chapter installed October 26, 1976. Membership awarded for overall academic excellence, particularly in Italian language and literature, and an active interest in Italian culture.
- Kappa Delta Pi, international education honor society. Psi Chi Chapter installed April 13, 1998. Academic achievement and commitment to the teaching profession.
- Kappa Gamma Pi, national honor society. Open to qualified seniors.
- Kappa Mu Epsilon, national mathematics honor society. Zeta chapter installed February 26, 1967. Open to qualified seniors.
- Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Association Honor Society, was founded in 1985. Membership awarded for outstanding scholastic achievement in communication.
- Phi Alpha Honor Social Work Society - The School of Social Work officially joined the National Phi Alpha Honor Society for Social Work in 2006. The Dominican chapter, Nu Omega, is responsible for organizing the yearly ceremony to induct graduate social work students who meet the requirements to join the honor society.
- Phi Alpha Theta, national honor society for history. Iota Tau chapter installed February 21, 1965. Membership awarded for active interest and superior scholarship.
- Phi Sigma Tau, International Honor Society in Philosophy. Mu chapter established in 1995. Membership awarded for excellence in philosophy.
- Pi Delta Phi, national French honor fraternity. Alpha Tau chapter installed April 11, 1951. Membership awarded for superior scholarship in French.
- Pi Gamma Mu, international social science honor society. Kappa chapter installed December 2, 1952. Membership awarded for superior scholarship in one or more of the following fields: history, political science, sociology, economics, or psychology.
- Psi Chi, national honor society in psychology. Chapter installed April 30, 1980. Overall academic excellence and superior scholarship in psychology.
- Sigma Delta Pi, national Spanish honor society. Beta Xi chapter installed June 3, 1948. Membership awarded for overall academic excellence and superior scholarship in Spanish with an active enthusiasm for things Hispanic.
- Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. Alpha Beta Pi chapter installed 1992. Membership awarded for active interest in English language and literature and high academic average.
- Theotokeion, Rosary College of Arts and Sciences academic honor society, founded in 1926. Membership awarded for high academic achievement and community service.
- Theta Alpha Kappa, national honor society for religious studies/theology. Alpha Alpha Zeta chapter installed October 1983. Membership awarded for active interest and high academic average.